Food & Lifestyle Blog

Monday 16 November 2015

Two days in Barcelona

During my spontaneous two-day city-break to Barcelona last week, I managed to encompass a huge variety sight-seeing and other activities. My friend and I stayed near the The Placa de Catalunya. We wandered down Las Ramblas, experienced La Bouquería food market, covered the Gothic Quarter on foot, went to the Picasso Museum, had dinner at a tapas restaurant, bought ice-cream from a street-stall during our walk back to the hotel, and went to a bar to get a taste of the nightlife that the city had to offer.

Day 2 began with an açai bowl and a superfood smoothie at the trendy Flax & Kale. We then had the chance to get to know the city's metro system on our way to la Sagrada Família, Gaudi's seminal masterpiece, a breathtaking but unfinished cathedral illuminated by the blue and orange glow of the stained glass windows, and I learned that the construction is expected to be finally completed in 11 years. This was followed by a long walk up the mountain that is Parque Güell for a spectacular view of the whole city, before catching the bus back to Las Ramblas for lunch. We walked along the waterfront and through the narrow alleys and winding streets where we found many hidden gems of cafés and boutique shops, before heading to the airport for our flight back to London!

I would say that the higlight of the trip was feasting our senses in La Bouquería food market with a vibrant display of colourful fruit, fresh vegetables, ice-cream parlours, nuts, seeds and spices. I particularly appreciated the cosmopolitan vibes all over the city and I can definitely see myself living here as part of my year abroad. 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig